Take charge of your unwanted electrical clutter in Hitchin
By JulieGK | Monday, January 21, 2013, 19:35
If you have unwanted electrical equipment cluttering up your home, go dump the stuff at a WEEE event (Waste Electricals and Electronic Equipment).
The next WEEE event in Hitchin will be on February 2 at Woodside Car Park.
Disposing of items in this way prevents tonnes of unwanted electrical items from ending up in grey bins and being sent to landfill. Instead it is all sent for recycling.
Cllr Peter Burt, NHDC's portfolio holder for Waste, Recycling and Environment, said: "We want to make it as easy as possible for householders to recycle their unwanted electrical equipment and these WEEE events are a popular way of disposing of items in a safe, environmentally friendly and cost effective way."
You can bring along the following items:
* IT equipment (e.g. computers, printers, scanners)
* Audio/visual equipment (e.g. televisions, VCRs, DVD players, freeview boxes, radios, hi-fi, games consoles, mobiles and MP3 players)
* Kitchen items (e.g. kettles, toasters, microwaves, blenders, bread makers)
* General household items (e.g. lamps, vacuum cleaners, irons, alarm clocks, electric fans, battery chargers, electric or battery toys and charging devices)
* Health and beauty items (e.g. hairdryers, straighteners, electric razors)
Larger items, such as fridges and freezers, cannot be collected at this event. These items can be taken to local Household Waste and Recycling Centres.
Other events in the area include Saturday at Wyevale Garden Centre, Codicote, between 9am and 2pm and February 9 at Twitchell Car Park in Baldock, also between 9am and 2pm.
For more information on WEEE events contact Laura Lack on 01462 474000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org